30 March 2009

Madness Monday - Jerry Roe born abt 1861

Jerry Roe is my great great grandfather. It was only through finally finding my great grandfather Frank Roe and his brother Piere in the 1910 census that I finally knew his name.
1910 United States Federal Census

about Jerry Rae

Name: Jerry Rae
[Jerry Roe]
Age in 1910: 49
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1861
Birthplace: Iowa
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Indiana
Mother's Birth Place: Illinois
Spouse's Name: Rachel
Home in 1910: Otoe, Noble, Oklahoma
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Gender: Male
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Jerry Rae 49
Rachel Rae 46
Piere Rae 14
Frank Rae 11
Jaybird Rae 7


This is all I could ever find on the family. I can find the boys in 1920 and 1930 and more information on them, but nothing else on Jerry and Rachel. This is the only place I can find them. I have searched using ROE, ROSE, ROW, ROWE, ROWS, and nothing.

From this census though I learned that Jerry was born about 1861 in Iowa. His wife and mother of boys is Rachel. They are living on the Indian reservation in Otoe Twp, Noble, OK. Jerry is not Native American, but Rachel is half and the boys are a quarter Chippewa Indian. Rachel was born in Canada. Piere in MN, Frank in MO on 1 Nov 1898, and Jaybird in Kansas. This family was all over the place, and I can't find any records of them in these places, though I don't really know what counties to start looking in.

Frank and Piere moved to MO by 1920 and married girls there. Jay stayed in OK and in 1930 was in a state hospital. My Aunt thought she had heard something about him having TB. But I find nothing more.

I think my best bet is if I can find a death record, obit or probate record on Rachel or Jerry. It may give me something to go off of. But I don't even know when they died, though I assume they stayed in OK.

I certainly would like to learn more about Rachel. We didn't even know that Grandpa Frank was Native American, though you can see it in him with the dark hair and he was said to have an olive complexion. Black and White photos don't do justice for skin color.

This photo is of my Grandpa Von Joseph Roe (son of Frank Roe) and Great Grandpa Frank Roe on the left holding the basket of fish. It was their favorite pass time.

Frank married about seven different times, but did end up in Modesto, CA where he died Apr 1971 and is buried by his son.

No comments:

Followers

Twitter Followers

BlogCatalog