18 May 2009

Madness Monday, George Scott


This is one of those ancestor's whose file I pull out from time to time, only to put it back in the cabinet still scratching my head.

Here is what I do know. George M Scott was born about 1828-29 in Indian. This is based on 1850 and 1880 Federal Census records. Of course 1880 is the first census where we get a glimpse at his parents. He states both parents were born in KY. Again he is one of my male ancestors whose life seems to only begin when he married. Prior to that I can find nothing on him. He married Aner Sackett 9 Oct 1847 in Franklin Co., IN. Now this I have not found a record on. It has only been passed through family. However it does seem to fit just fine. Their first child that I know of and can find was born 1 Sept 1848, Emily Lutitia Scott, in Metamora, Franklin Co., IN. The following is a list of the census records that I find the family in.
  • 1850 Center Twnp, Marion Co., IN. Scott, Geo M, 22, M, Farmer, Ind, Aner, 20, F, Oho, Emilia, 17, F, Ind, Nancy Sackett, 42?, VA (I'm not sure how see relates, but she must relate to Aner since Aner's maiden name was Sackett, and I'm not sure if the age is 42 or 62). Now interestingly living next door is a Henry Scott at 21, F, (no profession listed), NC. I'm sure he is related to George some how, but I have yet to connect him. The other family members are Charlotte, Mary, Levena, Elizabeth, and Henry.
  • Iowa State Census 1856, Lucas, IA. George M Scott- Ind, Aner - Oho, Emily - Ind, A. V. - Ind, M.C. - Iowa?
  • 1880 Plum Creek, Panoma? Nebraska, Scott, Geo M, W M 51, Farmer, Ind, KY, KY, Ann W F 49, wife Keeping house, Ohio, Ohio, VA, Alexander W M 29, Son, Farmer, Ind, Ind, Ohio, John W M W 18, Son, Farming, Iowa, Ind, Ohio, James N W M 9, Son, at-home, MO, Ind, Ohio.
  • Nebraska State Census, 1885 pg 9, Island Grove Precinct, Gage, Nebraska, George Scott age 56, Aner Scott age 54, Alexander Scott age 34, John Scott age 20 and James Scott (says 34 in transcription but should be 14) Original record unavailable. This information is from the transcription.
Now their daughter, my ggg grandmother Emily Lititia Scott married James Wesley Hoard in Platte City, Platte Co., MO 12 July 1866. This again is passed down from family. I'm still looking for this record as well. But if this is the case then possibly George and Aner were in MO during this time. Their youngest child James was born in MO about 1871. So I would say from the late 60's until at least the early 70's they were in MO before they moved to Nebraska where we can find them in the 1880 and 1885 census records.

Family tradition has said the George died in Liberty, MO and in Cherokee County, KS though I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he may have died in Nebraska either. I've never found a death record or burial for either George or Aner. We don't know when or where each of them died.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy, if you could contact my mother, she has the information you need on the Scott family, and more. You added me on Facebook, and my email is there, if it doesn't show up on my account here.
Charlene

Followers

Twitter Followers

BlogCatalog