Madness Monday: From Garden Frenzy to Ancestral Farming - Digging Up Roots in More Ways Than One!



As I sit at my desk on a Monday morning, watching fall leaves blanket the ground and rain pitter-patter against the window, I can't help but reflect on my ancestors and how much easier our lives are today.

My family tree stretches back at least six full generations, with some branches reaching even further. Flipping through census records from 1850 to 1950, one occupation dominates: farmer. No wonder I feel it in my blood – I love to garden! There's a special peace in being outside (usually with a good audiobook for company), digging in the soil, and watching my hard work bear fruit that will sustain my family. It's deeply gratifying.

This weekend, though, I felt the mad dash to beat the weather and prep my garden for fall. It hit me: the one factor you can't control is Mother Nature, and I know my ancestors felt that impact from floods to droughts. Their lives were never easy as they rushed to beat incoming storms or lugged water cans from the well to each thirsty plant, desperately trying to save their harvest when the rains wouldn't come.

Today, if my garden doesn't produce, I can just zip to the store – no worries! Sometimes I wish just one of my ancestors had left a journal describing what it was like to endure these hardships. Of course, it wasn't all tough times. There must have been bountiful harvests they celebrated with friends and family. We probably see the impact of good times versus bad in the records they left behind. I imagine the good years resulted in more living, healthy children, while the lean times sadly brought more infant deaths.

Were you lucky enough to have an ancestor who left a journal detailing their lives? If so, share! I'd love to hear your ancestors' stories. Drop a link in the comments below.

Now that my fall prep is complete in the garden, I can relax as the rain turns to snow. Time to travel down some ancestral paths and further grow my family tree until the spring thaw signals my return to the garden. Happy growing your ancestors' trees, fellow genealogists!

Comments

Popular Posts