Madness Monday - Sources

If you've been doing genealogy for as long as I have, you'll understand the time-consuming and sometimes frustrating task of sourcing. Not only is it exhausting, but it's also frustrating to come across new information about an ancestor without any sources. You find a middle name or a maiden name, but there's no way to know where it came from.

Maybe we can start to change that. I have recently become a WikiTree enthusiast—again. I originally joined WikiTree in 2017 and uploaded my family tree to the site. However, at that time, I wasn't as invested, and my profile was eventually closed due to inactivity. Now that I'm back, I'm always looking for ways to be more efficient and to really dive into writing my ancestors' stories.

This week, for the first time, I joined the Weekly Challenge on WikiTree hosted by Jarrett Ross, also known as the GeneaVlogger.


What I'm learning through this challenge is that it's a fantastic way to pick up new tricks and techniques for being an effective WikiTree user. During a group chat, several members mentioned Sourcerer. On Saturday, I asked what it was, and I was introduced to the most amazing tool for genealogists. Hats off to the developer of this wonderful tool!

WikiTree Sourcerer was developed by Rob Pavey and other contributors. It's available as an add-on for Chrome and Firefox. After downloading it, you can use it to enhance your research or, my favorite, create source citations! Now, there are no more excuses for not having a source citation when writing about your ancestors.

I didn't have a story to share this week because I was involved in this challenge, but I hope by sharing this I may help the rest of you find a tool that can reduce the Madness! Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts